A resident of Hawai‘i, I’m making a commitment via this blog to work on two huge problems facing us, climate change and marine debris. Those of us who live on islands are acutely aware of these two threats. I’ll do this by posting news that is realistic and sometimes terrifying, but overall I will emphasize proposed solutions, hopeful signs, and progressive actions by others–aiming for 50% positive posts. I’ll link to groups’ websites readers can visit to make their contribution to getting our leaders to act on global warming and slowing the accumulation of and cleaning up marine debris, by taking individual action or joining a group or both. I’ll steer them to books, films, articles, and websites that help them become smart shoppers, donate to the most effective nonprofits, and travel more sustainably. I welcome suggestions and comments on all these topics.
- Highlights of the Largest Climate Rally in History
- Arrests in Washington Signal Increasing Urgency on Keystone Pipeline by Chris Francis — YES! Magazine
- The Climate Movement Gets a Boost from 50,000 Protestors in D.C.
- Al Gore on the Daily Show: “I wish I was wrong about climate change”
- Mitigation and Adaptation: Hawai’i Plans for Climate Change